Friday, October 15, 2010

Port Placement and Indiana

I'm back! Thanks to Lindsey for setting up the meal planner. We are so grateful for everyone who signed up.
This week has been crazy busy for Drew and I. It started with our Dr. appointment with the oncologist. I worked the next three nights and Drew even had the opportunity to go into work for a day. Then Thursday afternoon we headed back to Holland Hospital to have Drew's port placed.

He was in the procedure room for about 45 minutes and then went for a chest x-ray afterwards to make sure the placement was right. Everything went really well, and we were able to leave shortly after he ate something.  He is a little sore in his right chest/shoulder. After we left the hospital, we headed home and I packed up the car and we were on our way to Indianapolis.

We arrived in Indy late around 9:00pm and we were so blessed that my brother in law's parents live close to Indy and let us stay with them for the night. Thank you SO much Iversons!
 We woke up and headed to IU

It was a really beautiful campus and building. We waited for a while to see Dr. Foster. He was really personable and talked with us about what he thought was the best option for Drew. He agrees that chemo is the way to go. He confirmed everything the oncologist in Holland said. 3-4 rounds of chemo then we will have another CT scan  and lab work to see how the tumor in the abdomen responded. If it looks that the chemo did its job and the tumor is gone, that will be the end of it and we will just have check ups to make sure that is isn't going come back. BUT if there is still signs of the tumor, we will have to head back to IU and Dr. Foster will have to perform a surgery to remove the tumor. It was good to be able to talk with someone who has dealt with testicular cancer on a more regular basis and hear is opinions and confidence in the success rate of treatment.

So the plan is to start chemo at 8:45am on Monday for 8 hours each day this week and then two weeks of shorter visit once a week and the cycle will repeat 3-4 times depending on how the doctor feels he is doing.

After the appointment we headed to a little area called Broad Ripple and sat down for a lunch. Afterwards, we headed to a  park on the way home called Holliday Park. We did a little hiking through the woods and took a couple pictures :) 

It was a BEAUTIFUL day for a walk in the woods

There was a large piece of "ruins" in the middle of the park

Random statue in the park

Drew's Statue
My Statue

More of the ruins

To all those who have sent the message, calls, and letters.
To the girls at work who have been so amazing at switching and covering shifts for me!
To all those who are praying for us, we can feel the love.
To all those who have signed up to bring meals.

 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind (Job 12:10)
But they that wait upon the Load shall renew their strength: they shall mount up with Wings as Eagles: they shall run and not be weary they shall walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:31)
Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and Courageous. Do not be terrified. Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you whereever you go (Joshua 1:9)
Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might. (Ephesians 6:10)
My soul is weary with sorrow: strengthen me according to your word.(Psalms 119:28)

for minimal side effects from the chemo
for the chemo to do its job and the tumor will shrink completely
for strength and patience
for our family and friends who have been so amazing and supportive


  1. you guys are awesome - your positive attitude through all you're going through is amazing! cute pics! :) glad the port went well, and we'll keep you in thoughts and prayers in the big weeks ahead. LOVE YOU!

  2. Just wanted to say I will be thinking about and praying for you guys in this tough upcoming week of chemo. Jamie, call me if there is ANYTHING you need! You will definitely be missed at work especially by me!